Monday, May 4, 2009

Faith

Life is amazing. Perhaps its God that's amazing. I haven't figured that out yet. But I'm working on that.

I have a propensity to mull on things way too much. No, mull is not the right word. Ruminate. It can be endless. If I get something in my mind, I will examine it 1000 different ways, many just minor variants from the others.

So recently, as part of a discussion I was involved in, we agreed to pray to the Holy Spirit. None of us had regularly prayed to the Holy Spirit and had no idea what to expect. So we agreed to report back in a week.

I had no level of expectation and a great deal of skepticism to temper my faith in this exercise. But I was willing to try. And I've had my share of issues to talk to the Holy Spirit about. Especially one that I've ruminated upon way too much.

That first night, I woke up about 2:00 AM. My mind went into overdrive. Worrying, thinking, wondering, projecting risks into the future. Very worthless activity. But I couldn't stop. So I began to pray. I prayed to the Holy Spirit for 15 minutes. Stopped and listened. Heard nothing. Felt nothing. Wait. I felt nothing. No sense of anxiety. No sense of emptiness. No sense that I was walking on the edge and might easily slip into an abyss of the unknown. Soon, I fell asleep. At peace and no longer driven to turn things over in my head repeatedly.

The next day, I talked to a friend about a personal conflict that I had been worrying about. My friend said a few simple words that totally turned my head around. The conflict had been minimized and reversed with the simplest of thoughts on the matter.

So now I wonder. What was the source of his inspiration? How did I come to peace in such a short period of time when I had been ruminating on this subject for several weeks; maybe months. The simple answer is prayer. Faith. Belief. But I wasn't a true believer and I didn't have complete faith, yet some kind of peace came over me when least expected.

My wife keeps telling me that I must quit worrying about the future so much. That if I believe good things will happen, then they will happen. And when bad things happen to me, I tend to take them too personally. I tend to take on the role of the victim and feel sorry for myself. But, as I met with my mens group and we discussed among us the results of our prayers to the Holy Ghost, I began to mull my attitude. I began to see quite clearly that I needed to be positive and have faith in the future. Have belief that I will find that which I want. And a very positive wave of faith came over me. So let's wait and see what happens.

I know God doesn't answer every prayer the way we want. I know God doesn't work on the timeline we set out for ourselves. So patience is the key; faith the linchpin that holds our lives together. It may not be a faith in God. But still it's faith. So whether you believe in God or not, you must have faith. Faith in yourself, faith in your family, faith in your friends. While any of them might let you down, don't take it personally. And when you are weak, just as you need to forgive others, you must forgive yourself. We all are weak. We all have our failures. But believe in your friends and family and believe in yourself. And believe in your faith. Have faith. Then see how your life turns around. If prayer helps you or positive thinking helps you. Report in here. Our radios are tuned in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I know God doesn't answer every prayer the way we want. I know God doesn't work on the timeline we set out for ourselves. So patience is the key; faith the linchpin that holds our lives together."

Just what I needed to be reminded of tonight. Thanks.

bshawise said...

this post embodies two of my favorite qualities of yours. your curiosity and willingness to try new things.

Dave talked about the Holy Spirit this weekend at vcc. check it out. it's solid.

http://www.vineyardcincinnati.com/lastweek.php?weekend=090503&