Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Silver Linings

Sometimes the world seems to be a dark, dim place. It's those dark moments that highlight the beauty of our lives. When something does not go the way we hope or plan it might go, while disappointed, we must look for the positive that surely will follow. So if your world seems a bit dim, if dark clouds seem to be dominating your life, know that something grand will come of your troubles, something unexpected. And suddenly you will understand the blessings you've been given.

I'm still unemployed. That bums me out. But I believe that something better than I had will come along. It may take longer than I want. It may be different than I imagine, but I believe it will come. Positive thinking is the only way to make it happen.

We recently had a contract for the sale of our house. The purchasers backed out. I have no idea why. At first I was extremely angry. Their inconsiderate and apparently ill thought out offer, resulted in our house being taken off the market for a week. We had two other people actively interested and one actively bidding to buy the house. We had three people interested in seeing the property at that time. All prospects have moved on to other properties. So I could sit here and be bitter and angry, but those negative thoughts and emotions won't get my house sold. So its time I let go of my anger and focus on the positive opportunity to get a higher offer for our house. Or, perhaps, it isn't out destiny to sell our house right now. We can live with that. Perhaps keeping our house will be the best thing that can happen to us. One never knows. But positive thinking will lead us in the best direction possible.

So if you are feeling down, do something positive to help yourself feel better. Do something to help someone else. Find an uplifting book to read. Get some serious exercise. Try yoga. Be active and seek others who are positive influences in your life and talk about it with them. Don't be afraid to admit you are depressed. That's often the first step in dealing with the solution. Talk about it and if it's affecting your life in a negative way, get professional help. It's an illness and treatment makes it better.

Personally, a good dose of Sun and Sand and Ocean and Children, are remarkable in improving my mood. We've enjoyed seeing Leslie and our other two children join Kim and I tomorrow for four days. It will be the first time in many years that we have all been together for a vacation in Florida. We can't wait to get together with their Grandpa Shaw and Jennifer to enjoy a visit before those two snowbirds fly back to Ohio. So as I sit on the deck and see the sun and the ocean, my mood brightens. The grandeur of the seascape makes the darkness in my life recede. And as it does, I appreciate all the more the glorious beauty that has been created for my enjoyment. Keep smiling! It's infectious.

No comments: